nanog mailing list archives

RE: tagged vs. untagged VLAN

From: "Daniel Dib" <daniel.dib () reaper nu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 06:15:23 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Nakamura [mailto:zeusdadog () gmail com]
Sent: den 29 september 2010 03:28
To: NANOG
Subject: tagged vs. untagged VLAN

In a SP environment, you need to hand off two VLANs to a customer, is
there any advantage or disadvantage in doing the following two setups?

- One untagged and one tagged VLAN
- Two tagged VLAN and no untagged VLAN

I can't think of anything other than some equipment may not let you
have no untagged VLAN.  But it's bugging me that something could go
wrong by not having untagged native VLAN that I can't think of.

I would go with tagged for both VLANs. If you can't tag the native in your
equipment create a dummy VLAN and use it as native on the link and all VLANs
will be tagged. If you know the customer will be using more VLANs later on
Q-in-Q might be a good solution or you will have to transport a lot of VLANs
in your network and they might collide with other customers etc.

/Daniel