nanog mailing list archives

Re: Randy in Nevis

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:44:04 -0400

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:30:06 PDT, Lyndon Nerenberg said:

I've heard from a couple of people that the PIX will remap 587 (and 25)
to oddball ports if you fiddle the config just right.  Given all the
other bogosity that box does with SMTP I wonder if there's truth to the
rumour. (I haven't found anyone who can reproduce this on demand, so
it's still apocryphal for now.)

I've heard some people say that reproducing totally compliant SMTP behavior
on those boxes on demand is apocryphal as well.  :)

(I have to admit I haven't actually tracked a user complaint down to a
misbehaving PIX in a year or two, but I can't say if the software has gotten
better or if its market share is just small enough to fly under my radar - the
type of people who send e-mail from behind a PIX don't interact with my users
all that often)