nanog mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Issues/Outage in Southeast?

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:20:50 -0400

On Sep 23, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Steven Bellovin wrote:

On Sep 23, 2010, at 3:40 59PM, Paul Stewart wrote:

Over on the outages list there is a lot of discussion... I believe
everyone is effected - we are peered with them in several locations and
cannot reach them.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/09/22/facebook-goes-down-for-some-users/

That's about yesterday's outage...but it has a helpful link to Facebook's twitter, where they apparently just
posted[1]

 We've fixed the issue with a third-party networking provider, and anyone
 impacted should be able to access Facebook normally.

yet facebook.com is still largely busted.  The main page took quite a while, but did eventually load.  Clicking links
on it yields:

Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try
again later.
Reference #11.e321d0d1.1285271763.14f5425

I think they're still dealing with some issues.

[1] I don't use twitter, and though it says that was posted "less than 20 seconds ago via HootSuite", I call
BS...because minutes later, it still says "less than 20 seconds ago..."  So for all I know, that could be their tweet
from yesterday.

If you are talking about the direct twitter GUI, it doesn't change the estimated delay time  until you do something to
refresh it (refresh the page, send new content, etc.).

Regards
Marshall

Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
Atlantic Net                |