nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:25:36 -0500

On 9/17/2010 2:18 PM, JC Dill wrote:
Jack Bates wrote:

Is consumer grade bandwidth not deprioritised to business grade
bandwidth?

Prioritization necessarily involves moving some traffic slower (because
you can't move traffic faster) than some link (within the provider's
network) allows, to allow "priority" traffic to more fully utilize the
link while the other (non-priority) traffic is slowed. It effectively
creates congestion points within the provider's network, if none existed
prior to implementing the prioritization scheme. "I encourage all my
competitors to do that."

And yet, I'm pretty sure there are providers that have different pipes for business than they do for consumer, and probably riding some of the same physical medium. This creates saturated and unsaturated pipes, which is just as bad or worse than using QOS. The reason I'm pretty sure about it, is business circuits generally are guaranteed, while consumer are not.

Jack