nanog mailing list archives

Re: Choice of network space when numbering interfaces with IPv6 (IPv6 STANDARDS)

From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:27:11 +1030

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:52:31 -0400

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 00:40:41 +1030
From: Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org>

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:31:22 +0100
Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-prefixlen-p2p-00.txt

Drafts are drafts, and nothing more, aren't they?

Drafts are drafts. Even most RFCs are RFCs and nothing more. Only a
handful have ever been designated as "Standards". I hope this becomes
one of those in the hope it will be taken seriously. (It already is by
anyone with a large network running IPv6.)

And none of the listed IETF "full standards" are IPv6 related.  That
seems a little bit odd to me given that everyone is supposed to have
implemented them by now.

The IETF standards process is different to other standards
organisations - publication of an RFC doesn't make it a standard. It is
much more pragmatic, as operational history is also used as an input
into the decision.

Bill Bogstad