nanog mailing list archives

Re: New hijacking - Done via via good old-fashioned Identity Theft

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:44:29 -0400

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:10:37 -0000, Sven Olaf Kamphuis said:
If what you're asking under point c is "what happens if a system that
contains such a password for your email address gets compromised" the
answer is simple, you remove that specific password from your approved
passwords list

140 million or so compromised systems.  You may be spending a lot of time
removing compromised passwords from your list - and even more problematic,
notifying everybody of the *new* password(s) they should use to e-mail to you.
So far this month, I've seen 4,964 mails from 1,090 different From: lines
(mostly due to a subscription to the linux-kernel list, which is a true fire
hose), and some 250 different SMTP MAIL FROM: sources.

                         (note that on the receiver side, the password is not linked
to the source email address, senders can use any source email address they
want, as long as one of the currently active/accepted passwords is in the
email)

We'll overlook the fact that if the password isn't linked to the source
address, then *any* sender can use any source they want, as long as as it's
known that *some* sender used '97%-chicken-teriyaki' as a password.  And with
140 million compromised boxes, there's a basically never-ending supply of
credentials to be stolen and used.

remaining problems with this system are:
by lack of a standard header for Password: which should be supported by
all clients, address books, online shops, mailinglists, we put the
password in the email, which means, that on Cc:'s and forwards etc
the password got forwarded along with the email, potentially giving other
people the password too.

And you recognize that your scheme leaks said passwords, but that's not a fatal
problem.

Now, this is -100%- spam stopping, smtp can be as open relay and you want,
the internet can be full of compromised windows boxes chunking out tons of
crap, but you won't get any spam, just mail from people YOU choose to deal
with, by actively -giving- them a password yourself, which you can also
-revoke-.

So explain to me in *detail* - you're in the To: line of this mail.  I don't
believe I've sent to you in the past.  I acquire a password valid to send you
this e-mail, how, exactly? After all, I can't e-mail you and ask for one...

After that, explain how a Hotmail user migrates to GMail (or vice versa) and
retains their ability to contact everybody they used to contact.

You might want to look at this:

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html

and see how many of the entries in the list apply to your proposal. (Nothing
personal - I don't think *any* realistic anti-spam proposal can get much
traction unless they've at least *thought* about every single bullet point on
that list).

Further discussion is probably best on SPAM-L.