nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:16:16 -0500

On 10/26/2010 2:26 PM, Blake Dunlap wrote:
This is actually not that uncommon. You see it a lot in the smaller level. I had several such clients at my last job. They want to be multi-homed for redundancy, but either don't have enough space, or don't want to pay full time people, so they use a small to midsize ISP and their space and assistance to set up.

Some aren't multihomed, but they use larger than /20 of v4 space and so still qualify. Others are smaller and multihomed and with my permission (since I configured the BGP for them), use my ASN and routing tricks. Since they have grown this way, they often have no desires to renumber, and most have no desire to even bother with an ASN. However, given the price of an ASN vs price of an ASN and ISP v6 /32; I know exactly which they'll choose. They'll let me pay the higher membership fees, and just get space from me.

Jack