nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Routing table will be bloated?

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () bfk de>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:20:27 +0000

* Jack Bates:

So, the best that I can tell (still not through debating with RIR),
the IPv6 routing table will see lots of bloat. Here's my reasoning so
far:

1) RIR (ARIN in this case, don't know other RIR interpretations) only
does initial assignments to barely cover the minimum. If you need more
due to routing, you'll need to provide every pop, counts per pop, etc,
to show how v6 will require more than just the minimums (full routing
plan and customer counts to justify routing plan).

If you get better routing and reachability from not filtering at the
/32 boundary, network operators will stop filtering at the /32
boundary.  So this issue will likely go away pretty soon because you
can use our initial assignment to gain the routing flexibility you
need.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer () bfk de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99