nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP/AS Assignment

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 12:59:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Brielle Bruns wrote:

It took only a few days to be assigned our AS number, but that was after hair pulling, head banging on desk, and i-want-to-drink-every-night-after-work for a week or two while we figured out how to work around the circular "You need to have two upstreams first before we will assign an AS" rule but providers can't/won't peer with you without one in the first place reality.

It's been a while since I've applied for an ASN...but used to be you just put on the form that you've ordered connectivity from multiple providers with the intent of multihoming, and that was good enough for ARIN. If that's no longer good enough, I would think any understanding provider would let you setup the peering connection first, assign it a /30, and then wait for you to get your ASN to do the BGP part.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |