nanog mailing list archives

RE: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement ConcerningComcast'sActions

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:32:57 -0800

Heck, if I were Level3, I might even drop the level of traffic in my
own network bound for Comcast and have a note on the site that Comcast
users can expect poor performance.  Something like "Comcast is too poor
to upgrade their network and has attempted to extort payment from us
under threat of disconnection from their internet users.  Though we
have refused to pay the "eyeball ransom", we have decided to help
Comcast out anyway by bandwidth limiting traffic to their poor wittle
network.  As a result, Comcast users might experience reduced
performance."

Note that was tongue in cheek.  I actually support the notion of making it more expensive to deploy more bandwidth
intensive applications as it *does* place an unfair burden on the delivery network.  The problem I have in this case is
the conflict of interest when the delivery network is also a content provider and discriminates against content
competitors.