nanog mailing list archives

Re: experience with equinix exchange

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:26:50 -0600

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:03:21PM -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
The only thing I would change is that Any2 has at least one exchange
with traffic (Los Angeles) and is distributed throughout the country.

But the vast majority of traffic exchange over IXes in the US is over
Equinix/PAIX switches.  And a very large amount of traffic over
private interconnects is also done in their buildings.

Woops, yes I forgot Any2 (how'd that happen? :P). Like Telx they've
recently deployed a bunch of new exchanges "all over", but there is
really only the one that does any traffic. :)

For comparison purposes:

http://www.seattleix.net/agg.htm
http://www.nyiix.net/index.php?core=statistics.php
http://tie.telx.com/usage.pl
http://www.coresite.com/peering-any2charts.php

I don't think the combined Equinix / S&D numbers are published publicly
anywhere, but I'm sure it's north of a terabit. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras