nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 6to4 and dns

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:06:49 +1100

In message <4CE5C820.5030205 () mompl net>, Jeroen van Aart writes:
What would be the best way to configure your dns once you've set up IPv6
6to4? Separate the IPv4 and IPV6 domains or let them be the same?

That is, use something like example.com for your existing IPv4 address
and something like 6.example.com for IPv6 (and www.6.example.com etc.)?

Or is it safe to have both A and AAAA records for the same domain name?

Thanks,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

Firstly I would use a tunnel broker instead of 6to4.  Easier to
debug failures.

To answer your question you need to do a risk analysis.

Adding a IPv6 address next to a IPv4 address can make connections
to the site appear to be slow when the client side tries IPv6 but
doesn't have a working IPv6 path (this is a very small percentage).
There are some applications that will not fallback to IPv4 if the
IPv6 connection fails (this is also a small percentage again).

ISC publishes both AAAA and A record at the same name.  This is
somewhat of a forcing function for broken sites to address their
IPv6 issues.  We have been publishing both address for many years
now.

Google on the other had decided to white-list sites that it knows
have IPv6 connectivity and a responsive noc.  6to4 sites don't meet
these requirments. Tunneled sites can.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org