nanog mailing list archives

Re: The i-root china reroute finally makes fox news. And congress.

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:46:44 -1000

On Nov 16, 2010, at 8:17 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/11/16/internet-traffic-reportedly-routed-chinese-servers/

I have read the article and the list, and I'm puzzled. It's pretty clear that the root gets its records from a common
source, and that the copies of them being delivered by a given root server were different.

Hard to decipher what the Fox report is actually talking about, but I suspect it relates to
http://www.renesys.com/blog/2010/06/two-strikes-i-root.shtml

Not sure what Glenn Beck, Fox News, or Godwin's Law have to do with it. There was a technical event that resulted in
misrouting of traffic, and while international concerns regarding it had political overtones, the technical event is
not a political one. If it was your traffic that had been misrouted, you might have issued expressions of concern. So
why respond to it with a political response?

As for political vs. technical, it feels (particularly given the Fox report is sourced from a paper on US-China
relations) like yet more cyber war drum beating, but that might just be me.

Sounds to me like one of the arguments for DNSSEC deployment...

DNSSEC would let you know something odd happened (if you're doing a DNS lookup, have validation turned on, and can tell
the difference between SERVFAIL generated stub resolver timeout and a random Internet brokenness), although it doesn't
really give you any tools to fix it.  What really needs to be fixed is "routing by rumor".

Regards,
-drc