nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: Will Hargrave <will () harg net>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 08:35:57 +0000

On 6 Nov 2010, at 20:29, Matthew Petach wrote:

There is no reason why we are still using 1500 byte MTUs at exchange points.
Completely agree with you on that point.  I'd love to see Equinix, AMSIX, LINX,
DECIX, and the rest of the large exchange points put out statements indicating
their ability to transparently support jumbo frames through their fabrics, or at
least indicate a roadmap and a timeline to when they think they'll be able to
support jumbo frames throughout the switch fabrics.

At LONAP we've been able to support jumbo frames (at 9000+ depending on how you count it) for some years. We have been
running large MTU p2p vlans for members for some time - L2TP handoff and so on. What we don't do is support >1500byte
MTU on the shared peering vlan, and I don't see this changing anytime soon. There isn't demand; multiple vlans split
your critical mass even if you are able to decide on a lowest common denominator above 1500.

I imagine the situation is similar for other exchanges (apart from Netnod as already mentioned).

I won't bother to further reiterate the contents of <20101106203616.GH1902 () gerbil cluepon net>; others can just read
Ras's post for a concise description. :-)

--
Will Hargrave
Technical Director