nanog mailing list archives

Re: Emulating a cellular interface

From: Suresh Rajagopalan <sraja97 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 16:22:24 -0700

Or Linux Netem

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/netem

Suresh

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org> wrote:

On 6 Nov 2010, at 05:53, Saqib Ilyas wrote:

A friend of mine is doing some testing where he wishes to emulate a
cellular-like interfaces with random drops and all, out of an ethernet
interface. Since we have plenty of network and system ops on the list, I
thought we might have luck posting the question here. Is anyone aware of a
simple tool to do this, other than rather involved configuration of
iptables?

Not withstanding Mikael's comments that it shouldn't be lossy, at times when you want to simulate lossy (and jittery,
and shaped, and ....) conditions, the best way I have found to do this is FreeBSD's dummynet :

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipfw&sektion=8#TRAFFIC_SHAPER_(DUMMYNET)_CONFIGURATION

Andy