nanog mailing list archives

Re: ipv6 transit over tunneled connection

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:50:28 -0700

On May 14, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Franck Martin <franck () genius com> wrote:
I said somewhere in here... wierd quoting happened.
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Michael Ulitskiy <mulitskiy () acedsl com>
wrote:
Hello,

We're in the early stage of planning ipv6 deployment -
learning/labbing/experimenting/etc. We've got to the point when we're
also planning to request initial ipv6 allocation from ARIN.
So I wonder what ipv6 transit options I have if my upstreams do not
support native ipv6 connectivity?
I see Hurricane Electric tunnel broker BGP tunnel. Is there anything
else? Either free or commercial?

1) see gblx/ntt/sprint/twt/vzb for transit-v6
2) tunnel inside your domain (your control, your MTU issues, your
alternate pathing of tunnels vs pipe)
3) don't tunnel beyond your borders, really just don't

tunnels are bad, always.
-chris

I see so many times, that tunnels are bad for IPv6, but this is the way IPv6 has been designed to work when you
cannot get direct IPv6. So I would not say tunnels are bad, but direct IPv6 is better (OECD document on IPv6
states the use of tunnels).

Tunnels promote poor paths, they bring along LOTS of issues wrt PMTUD,
asymmetry of paths, improper/inefficient paths (see example paths from
several ripe preso's by jereon/others), longer latency. If the tunnel
exits your border you can't control what happens and you can't affect
that tunnels performance characteristics. it's 2010, get native v6.

I will point out that most of these issues apply to 6to4 and Teredo auto-
tunnels and not as much to GRE or 6in4 statically configured tunnels.

There is a juniper bug which makes PMTU-D a problem if your tunnel
is Juniper<->Juniper.

If the issue with tunnel is MTU, then a non-negligible part of IPv4 does not work well with MTU different of 1500.
With IPv6 we bring the concept of jumbo packets, with large MTU. If we cannot work with non standard MTUs in
IPv6 tunnels, how will we work with jumbo packets?

a non-negligible part of the ipv6 internet doesn't work at all with
1280 mtu... due to tunnels and some other hackery :( jumbo packets
are a fiction, everyone should stop 10 years ago believing they will
ever work end-to-end between random sites.

Jumbo packets do work end to end in some random cases and PMTU-D
works in most others. All of the tunnels I am using have at least a 1280 MTU,
so, I'm not sure why you would think a tunnel wouldn't support 1280.

Owen