nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP and convergence time

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:30:04 -0700

--- matthew () walster org wrote:
From: Matthew Walster <matthew () walster org>

On 12 May 2010 02:36, Scott Weeks <surfer () mauigateway com> wrote:
You set the timers on your side and the two sides negotiate then select the lowest timer settings.  The BGP session
automatically hard resets on some equipment when changing the timers, so be aware of that.

Hold timers are negotiated in the OPEN message, I seem to remember, so
surely you *have* to hard reset the connection to get the lower
holdtime?

Of course you have to reset the session or it won't communicate the change, but what I wanted was to be able to
soft-reset at my own convenience for the valuse to take effect.  The routers we use just hard reset as soon as I typed
the command.  :-(

scott