nanog mailing list archives

Earthquakes

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:31:24 -0700

I saw a recent(-ish) short thread about a mag. 4 quake in the SF Bay Area. This http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/36.38.-123.-121.php
should provide with everything you need to know.

I check it on a daily basis and it's been rather quiet the past week or 2 or so. Actually I guess it's been rather quiet ever since the 1989 quake, but then a year or so ago I woke up in the morning from some rattling doors so I guess it all depends on your perspective.

So far the "worst" quake ever I experienced was in the Netherlands back around 1988. Magn. 5.2 or something. Which is interesting considering these happen like once every 6 million years or thereabouts ;-) Actually I slept through it so I don't know if one can call it "experiencing".

Greetings,
Jeroen