nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Naming Conventions

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:05:52 -0400

Being in the IDS business mostly involved with Snort, I've given my sensors "pig names" in the past.

Wilbur, Arnold, Lechoncito....

On Mar 15, 2010, at 9:57 AM, Andrew D Kirch wrote:

Nice, I've used mountains (Denali, Everest, Olympus, etc) in the past to
name systems.  Used profanity for awhile to name machines, there's
really quite a bit of it, and every language has it's own set, giving a
large pool to choose from.  Sadly, when outages occurred, it was
somewhat difficult to determine which machines were down, and this was
discarded.

Andrew

Greg Whynott wrote:
We use confidence inspiring names here for our devices,  shakey,  broken,  jitter,  crusty....

--
Joel Esler
http://blog.joelesler.net