nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC releases Internet speed test tool

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:34:52 -0800

--- smb () cs columbia edu wrote:
From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
On Mar 12, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

It requires giving your address.

Nah, no real address needed.  Just use 123 elm street abbeville alabama
36310.  That's the first zip code I found on a site...  ;-)

Putting in a fake address renders your data useless.

Now -- under the Privacy Act, if they're collecting addresses I believe they had to do a Privacy Impact Assessment.

I don't like giving my address out to anyone that asks for it.  I just wanted to sniff the traffic and see what was
going on.  I wasn't too concerned with being a valid data point.  Cmon, I believe you know some security stuff and why
I might chose to do that... ;-)

scott

ps. there's a helluva delay going on on the list today...