nanog mailing list archives

Re: Locations with no good Internet

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:16:53 -0500

On 3/6/2010 7:28 AM, Joel Snyder wrote:
Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick () zill net> wrote:

>Isn't this really an issue (political) with tariffed T1 prices rather
>than a technical problem?

>I was told that most T1s are provisioned over a DSLAM these days
>anyways, and that the key difference between T1 and DSL was the SLA
>(99.99% guarantee vs. "when we get it fixed").

I don't know about anything other than Qwest-land in Arizona, but we are seeing the few T1s that are still in service provisioned as you described: a 2-wire DSL connection, although not out of a local DSLAM.

Here in Maine, they use HDSL (two pair) to supply T1. They put repeaters down the line or work it out of a SLICK. The bridge taps and side taps are removed from the loops (conditioned) and then there's the SLA. I learned to always have a spare CSU/DSU on site.

--Curtis