nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP4 Space

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:48:31 -0500

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
If this is done right, direct assignment holders and ISPs are issued
sufficiently large prefixes such that the prefix count per entity
remains small.

This sort of assumes Internet connectivity models of today, specifically that most address assignments are singly-homed
and thus can be aggregatedd within a larger provider independent block, will remain the model of tomorrow.  I have some
skepticism this will be true.  When entertainment, communications, monitoring, etc. are all provided via always-on IP
connectivity, I suspect you'll see folks have less tolerance for even momentary outages.  And that's not even
considering mobility solutions that rely on the routing system (e.g., stuff like Boeing's Connexion (RIP)).

We'll see I suppose.

Regards,
-drc