nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadband initiatives - impact to your network?

From: Jonathan Feldman <jf () feldman org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:26:41 -0400

More than one person has pointed out that offline media will always be higher bandwidth than transmission lines (but nobody with such elegance and hilarity as Nick Hilliard's last post). Point taken. The question, in my mind, is whether it's reasonable to ask that regional providers reach the same bar as privately owned campus networks.

I don't agree with you, Christopher, that the broadband plan won't affect corporate users. I know that this list _mostly_ consists of operators, but I've gotten some offline responses to my initial query that seem to indicate that enterprise users utilize SOHO (consumer grade, but with higher speeds) for various branch office needs. Also, when a technology gets "consumerized" it tends to create interesting effects in terms of features and price points.

Think of it this way: where would corporate mobile phones be without the consumer effect? We'd still be carrying them around in bags and only corporate officers would have them.

I appreciate everyone's response!