nanog mailing list archives

Re: PCAP Sanitization Tool

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:46:51 -0400

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:37:01 PDT, Steven Bellovin said:
What's your threat model?  In general, proper anonymization of packet
trace data is very hard.

I'll go out on a limb and point out that a large chunk of the difficulty is
because every protocol has had to invent its own hack-arounds for working
across a NAT. The resulting lack of standardization making things like
Wireshark protocol examinations and sanitizing capture data is one of the less
well-known reasons why NATs are evil.

I'll cut FTP some slack - it dates back *so* far we can legitimately
say we just didn't know any better way back in the Stone Age. ;)