nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nato warns of strike against cyber attackers

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 14:14:25 -0700

On 2010-06-08 13:03, J. Oquendo wrote:
Jorge Amodio wrote:

All humor aside, I'm curious to know what can anyone truly do at the end
of the day if say a botnet was used to instigate a situation. Surely
someone would have to say something to the tune of "better now than
never" to implement BCP filtering on a large scale. Knobs, Levers, Dials
and Switches: Now and Then (please sir, may I have some more ?) is 7
years old yet I wonder in practice, how many networks have 38/84
filtering. I'm wondering why it hasn't been implemented off the shelf in
some of the newer equipment. This is not to say "huge backbones" should
have it, but think about it, if smaller networks implemented it from the
rip, the overheard wouldn't hurt that many of the bigger guys. On the
contrary, my theory is it would save them headaches in the long run...
Guess that's a pragmatic approach. Better that than an immediate
pessimistic one.

The bots don't need to spoof source addresses... and therefore the filtering associated with preventing that while a solid belt and suspenders exercise is by no means a panacea.