nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:07:02 +1000

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 06:24:04AM +0200, Jens Link wrote:
Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:
The correct answer is "No, you don't have to configure rules, you just need
one rule supplied by default which denies anything that doesn't have a
corresponding outbound entry in the state table and it works just like NAT
without the address mangling".

They used NAT as an excuse not to let some applications to the
outside.

That's OK, if it's NAT unfriendly, chances are it requires deep packet
inspection to make the state tables do the right thing anyway.

- Matt

--
Skippy was a wallaby. ... Wallabies are dumb and not very trainable...  The
*good* thing...is that one Skippy looks very much like all the rest,