nanog mailing list archives

While we worry about Vyatta and Bras.....

From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan () atlasnetworks us>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:45:13 +0000

The single host/box had bomb making info and hit lists.  Yeah, I'd
shut it down too if it was on my network.

Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA, 360-474-7474

As would any reasonable operator.

Or maybe it would have been better to not destroy a known source, and
work with the FBI to maximize its value.

Cutting it off like that was short-sighted and stupid.

-j

(Fixing the subject line - sorry about that...)

It sounds like the letter from the FBI to Burst.net specifically allowed for that possibility.

"In the FBI's letter, the agency included a clause that says Web hosts and Internet service providers may voluntarily
elect to shut down the sites of customers involved in these kinds of situations."

Nathan Eisenberg, Atlas Networks