nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate Limiting on Cisco Router

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:54:56 -0500

Antonio Querubin wrote:

Traffic-shaping 80Mb/s of traffic is probably not a good idea for your router cpu :)

Honestly, cpu overhead shouldn't be an issue with a traffic shape queue. If it is, probably a seriously underpowered router or poor code. Now if you applied extensive rules for various traffic at different rates and queue priorities, I could see lots of extra ticks.

Don't get me wrong. I have 400mbps+ traffic shapes on my junipers and probably glad for the extensive hardware support (like I have a choice, no hardware support, the router won't do it)

Jack