nanog mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Plans Cyber Shield for Utilities, Companies

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:26:04 -0400

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:12:29 PDT, JC Dill said:
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
What's the going rate these days that you have to pay to make sure your fiber
gets spliced first rather than that other customer's 10GE?

I'm not familiar with cable break splicing procedures, but is it even
possible to pay extra to have your splice done first?  I would think
that the logistics of splicing are such that the guy down in the hole
doesn't know whose traffic is on each strand in the bundle

Exactly - which is a case for just having everybody's traffic mingled on
a very busy 12-pair rather than several 96-pair with lots of dedicated links,
*everybody* ends up back in service a lot faster...

And remember - this industry has more trouble with backhoes and would-be
copper thieves than terrorists. Anybody who is defending against terrorists
by increasing their vulnerability to backhoes is, well...