nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using /126 for IPv6 router links

From: Jim Burwell <jimb () jsbc cc>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:45:17 -0800

On 1/25/2010 20:06, Mark Smith wrote:

This from people who can probably do decimal to binary conversion
and back again for IPv4 subnetting in their head and are proud of
it. Surely IPv6 hex to binary and back again can be the new party
trick? :-)

Hehe.  Decimal -> binary in your head?  I don't even bother except if
it's some well known "magic #s".  Hex -> binary though is super simple
since unlike decimal, each digit translates exactly into a nybble.  You
just have to know the binary from 0 - 15, 16 simple four-bit patterns,
and it's a piece of cake.  You can give me hex numbers and and I'll
rattle off binary all day, or vica-versa.  Octal is similarly easy, but
would result in some long IPv6 addresses.  :-)