nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best Practices - BGP community to signal transit announces.

From: Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:04:55 +0000

On 23/01/2010 17:51, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:
I am acting as transit for a number of ASNs, and my upstream peers do
filter my announces (as they should as I understand).

Absolutely.

Is there any best practices or RFC which shall suggest how this
community should be set up? Say, while I do standardize this community
to be MY-ASN:1 or MY-ASN:65501, is there a difference? Which community
numbers should be used for this purpose, if there are any best practice
for this?

This is a really bad idea, if you tag your customers' prefixes with a 'do transit' community, then the customer leaks, you will tag the extra prefixes, and leak via your transit too.

You must filter your customers based on the data that they put into an agreed RPSL database, and then your transit provider should filter you on the same basis.

Some people shuffle static prefix lists to negotiate their prefix filters. Life is too short for this though. Let computers and databases do the work for you.

Andy Davidson // www.netsumo.com