nanog mailing list archives

Re: Grant Funding

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:01:01 -0500

On Jan 19, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Fletcher Kittredge wrote:

What do you want to know?   We were the first NTIA grant announced.    $32 million project to build rural *dark*
fiber networks.   The model was to form a new company which would be carrier neutral and just build and maintain
rural dark fiber.   A carrier's carrier;  structural separation; prices based on cost plus margin, not what the
market would bear, open access, non-discrimination....  This model seemed to resonate with the Feds.    The local
incumbents still seem to have a hard time believing we would get a government subsidy and then immediately give it
away.   A model where any carrier, including them, could have access to dark fiber on equal terms is beyond their ken.

This is similar to what I have been doing research on.  I wonder if the cellular coverage outside the I-95 corridor
will get better as a result of your efforts...

I really should have gotten fed up with my local [ineffective] incumbents with enough time to develop a similar
approach.

I do wonder if the upcoming FCC broadband work will result in a similar policy being adopted.  "We're all just overlay
networks of the fiber" is a nice approach.

- Jared