nanog mailing list archives

Re: New netblock Geolocate wrong (Google)

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:45:27 +0900

Something that I have often wondered is how folks would feel about
publishing some sort of geo information in reverse DNS (something like
LOC records, with whatever precision you like) -- this would allow the
folks that geo stuff to automagically provide the best answer, and
because you control the record, you can specify whatever resolution /
precision you like.

yes!

and smb sez:

geolocation is often used for certain forms of access control and
policy enforcement.  For example: "Regular Season Local Live Blackout:
All live, regular season games available via MLB.TV, MLB.com At Bat
2009 and certain other MLB.com subscription services are subject to
local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each
applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether
that Club is playing at home or away."

first, i don't think the proportion of in-addr hackers is anywhere near
the basic inaccuracy rate of geo-loc.  so may not be of big concern.  if
it is of big concern, those concerned should not believe the in-addr
hack.

given that our westin, ashburn, and infomart equipment is often
considered to be in tokyo, this would be a big win.

randy