nanog mailing list archives

Re: Consumer-grade dual-homed connectivity options?

From: Vincent C Jones <v.jones () networkingunlimited com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 09:10:05 -0500

Most of the SOHO router vendors (Netgear, Linksys, etc) have a model
targeted at this application. When this class of "dual homed" router
first came out several years ago, they were notoriously unreliable, but
I would hope they work better by now. A search on the term "ping based
routing" should give you insight into the current state of affairs,
although it will probably take some work because there is no standard
terminology to describe the facility, and most implementations no longer
rely on "ping" to do the job of detecting link status.

A few limitations to keep in mind:

1 - These routers are targeted at home users, are cheap, and you don't
get what you don't pay for.

2 - The job can be done using "real" routers (Cisco, Juniper, etc), but
setup requires work and getting a solution that actually works can be
tricky.

3 - Be wary of any advice that you get from anyone who has not actually
done it on the box in question! There are many ways a solution which
should work will fail miserably. For example, when I looked at this
problem a few years ago for a client, the SOHO routers tended to lock up
and require a power cycle every few days while Cisco IOS routers would
not clear the NAT table when a link failed soft and tended to stop
testing a link once it failed, requiring manual recovery.

Good luck and have fun!
--
Vincent C Jones
Networking Unlimited, Inc.