nanog mailing list archives

Re: domain registra question

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner () nic-naa net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:41:48 -0500

On 1/30/10 8:01 PM, John Levine wrote:
We are doing hosting and
We are interested in doing Domain registra
Could you provide more info?

Although Eric is correct that you can become an ICANN accredited
registrar, that's probably not what you want to do.

Agree, but I'm not going to tell him (or anyone) what they should want. For all I know he sees some present value entering the highly concentrated CNO industry, or some future value as a registrar with operational clue in the 20+ inventory market, when the number of inventories increases substantially.

Many registrars have reseller programs which allow you to sell
domain registrations that are actually handled by the registrar
whose service you are reselling.  If you just want to let your
customers register the domains they use in their hosted web sites,
that's much, much easier.

I resell Tucows (www.opensrs.com) and am happy with them, but you
should look at several large registrars and choose the one that
best meets your needs.

Distinct from the question of member (of CORE) vs reseller (of any registrar offering a reseller model), members having a voice in the policy and management of the registrar, resellers not, is the issue of shared fate. A reseller shares fate with all other resellers of a particular registrar.

Eric