nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rogers wireless outbound mailservers have no reverse (SORBS please help?)

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:14:37 +1100

In message <20100128164654.GZ16327 () sizone org>, Ken Chase writes:
Can I get a rogers engineer who not only cares but has power to crush problem
to respond to this please?

Opening tickets with RNS seems to just get a null responce, "we'll look at it
" with
a hint of disbelief a customer ticket could uncover a large network-wide issu
e.

It's an old problem that was temporarily fixed for a while, but is now back.

 Jan 28 06:46:00 cust1 postfix/smtpd[416]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
       from unknown[74.198.8.2]: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot
       find your reverse hostname, [74.198.8.2];
       from=<sandy () customer com> to=<tracy () customer com>
       proto=ESMTP helo=<to5email1.gprs.rogers.com>

  $ host 74.198.8.2 8.8.8.8
  Using domain server:
  Name: 8.8.8.8

  Host 2.8.198.74.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Maybe we can get them registered on SORBS. The irony would be very tasty.
Maybe then they'll start caring. (Too much to hope for?)

Solution right now is to get all of my customers to tell their employees
to not trust outgoing rogers mailservers to get their mail out, and find alte
rnates.

I'm not the only one who filters by lack of reverse.

I'm also trying to figure out the Rogers angle here. Ideas?

/kc
--
Ken Chase - ken () heavycomputing ca - +1 416 897 6284 - Toronto CANADA
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Fron

Perhaps you should re-think your filtering policies.  They are obviously
wrong because they are not allowing through the email you want to be let
through.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org