nanog mailing list archives

Re: Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:25:19 -0500

On Feb 22, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Robert Brockway wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, James Jones wrote:

Why does this seem like a really bad idea?

While I think the principal is noble there are operational problems:

1) Large and increasing quantity of email will be forwarded between Israeli ISPs, loading their networks with traffic
that could have been avoided.

2) Every time someone changes ISP and wants to continue using this address they will need to notify their original
ISP, who they may not have had a business relationship with for many years.  This will be a significant operational
challenge I expect.  How do you confirm the person notifying you is the real owner of the address, for example?

IMHO it would have been better to require the ISPs to forward the email for a reasonable period of time (say 3
months) to allow the user to make relevant notifications (or just stop using an ISP bound email address).

Unfortunately the links cited are in Hebrew so I'm only going on Gadi's report here.

Bring back the MB or MR DNS records?  (Only half a smiley.)