nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNSSEC Readiness

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 01:22:38 +1100

In message <4B7A502F.8000204 () knownelement com>, Charles N Wyble writes:
Repeat for IPv6.

dig -6 ns . +norec @l.root-servers.net
dig -6 ns . +dnssec +cd +norec @l.root-servers.net
dig -6 any . +dnssec +cd +norec @l.root-servers.net
dig -6 any . +dnssec +cd +norec @l.root-servers.net +vc

Mark

Thank you. That's a nice quick/dirty test.

All 4 commands worked.

If folks are curious, my setup is Ubuntu 9.10 client, Ubuntu 9.10 server
running bind and a cisco 1841 running 12.4(18). I don't have a Windows
box handy to test on. How would one test with nslookup anyway? Or does
it only matter if the local DNS server can do the lookup and clients
will just work? Though one would still need to test from Windows if you
have AD for DNS I suppose. *shrugs*

Ok.... that's the client side.

That's a path test.  Next are system tests.  You should get answers
to all of below and you should have "ad" set in the "se" query.

named.test.conf:

trusted-keys {
        dlv.isc.org. 257 3 5
"BEAAAAPHMu/5onzrEE7z1egmhg/WPO0+juoZrW3euWEn4MxDCE1+lLy2brhQv5rN32RKtMzX6Mj70jdzeND4XknW58dnJNPCxn8+jAGl2FZLK8t+1uq4W+nnA3qO2+DL+k6BD4mewMLbIYFwe0PG73Te9fZ2kJb56dhgMde5ymX4BI/oQ+cAK50/xvJv00Frf8kw6ucMTwFlgPe+jnGxPPEmHAte/URkY62ZfkLoBAADLHQ9IrS2tryAe7mbBZVcOwIeU/Rw/mRx/vwwMCTgNboMQKtUdvNXDrYJDSHZws3xiRXF1Rf+al9UmZfSav/4NWLKjHzpT59k/VStTDN0YUuWrBNh";
};

options {
        listen-on port 4444 { 127.0.0.1; };
        dnssec-enable yes;
        dnssec-validation yes;
        dnssec-lookaside . trust-anchor dlv.isc.org;
};

dig -p 4444 @127.0.0.1 +dnssec se soa
dig -p 4444 @127.0.0.1 +dnssec .
dig -p 4444 @127.0.0.1 +dnssec www.microsoft.com

Once you are confident you can add these to you normal named.conf.
See https://www.isc.org/solutions/dlv for more details and subscribe
to dlv-announce () isc org so you will get reminders about when to
update the trusted-keys statement.

When the root is signed you will want to add a trusted-keys clause
for it as well.  I wouldn't suggest tracking more trusted keys than
that for the moment.

How about the server side?

I'm currently using my registrars DNS servers. I haven't seen anything
in their control panel about DNSSEC. One item on my TODO list is to move
DNS to my BIND servers.

Quick search turns up
http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_bind9_master_slave_system which
mentions a few commands and couple stanzas. Is that all it takes?
How do you verify that you are .... compliant? complete? I mean SSL
based PKI is pretty straightforward and I understand it and can verify
that I'm compliant/complete (run my own ca, issue certs, delegate trust
etc). Guess I need to do more reading on DNSSEC and how to integrate
into the global DNSSEC infrastructure (such as it is and will emerge to
be). I have a test domain that I use for things like this. I would like
to setup DNSSEC and then positively/negatively test it. Just not sure
how. Presumably one should attempt to MITM the request and make sure the
resolver complains yes?

This is at my home network and as such I have a great degree of
latitude.  For folks who have managers to report to, what are the
justifications for deploying DNSSEC?

I think one would do it in stages

1)Make sure their infrastructure can at least handle the DNS protocol
changes that DNSSEC brings about (ie the 4 test commands above pass)

2)Implement a parallel environment with and without DNSSEC (is this
possible/desirable?)

3)Sign their records.

Anyway just some thoughts.

Thanks to folks who have responded so far.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org