nanog mailing list archives

Re: in-addr.arpa server problems for europe?

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:37:05 +1100

In message <017901caae69$5d9e8770$18db9650$@nl>, "Mark Scholten" writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Finch [mailto:fanf2 () hermes cam ac uk] On Behalf Of Tony
Finch
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 6:21 PM
To: Mark Scholten
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: RE: in-addr.arpa server problems for europe?

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Mark Scholten wrote:

I've seen problems that are only there because of DNSSEC, so if there
is a
problem starting with trying to disable DNSSEC could be a good idea.
As long
as not all rootzones are signed I don't see a good reason to use
DNSSEC at
the moment.

You realise that two of them are signed now and the rest will be signed
by
1st July?

Tony.

Yes, I realise that. I also realise that not all nameserver software can
work as it work with DNSSEC. That is also a problem that has to be solved
and for as far as I know all nameserver software we use support it or will
support it in the future. As long as it is not supported by all nameserver
software you can keep problems.

Nameservers that are not DNSSEC aware will not get responses that
contain DNSSEC records unless a client explicitly requests a DNSSEC
record type or make a * (ANY) request.

There is no problem to solve.  Just a lot of misunderstanding.

That said the majority of nameservers on the planet are DNSSEC aware
and will request the DNSSEC record to be returned.  They will also
fall back to plain DNS if middleware blocks the response.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org