nanog mailing list archives

Re: Latest Cisco for small dual homed ASN

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:13:59 -0500

On 2/11/2010 1:53 PM, James Smallacombe wrote:

I have a customer that is looking at using BGP for their network; one connection over a few bonded T1s, the other over a Comcast Enterprise connection (which supposedly will do BGP now).

When I was dual homed a few years ago, a 7204VXR with 256MB was more than adequate. With routing tables growing the way they are, what's a good Cisco based solution on the lower end of the price spectrum that should handle this fine for a few years?

Somebody else is suggesting a Vyatta (Linux based) solution, which makes me a little nervous. Then again, Linux has improved dramatically from a security and stability P.O.V, so maybe it's worth a look if there's no hard drive involved.

I've been running vyatta, here, for a year now. Its running VPN's and its routing on a TimeWarner Fiber on a modest dual core supermicro server. Its never had to be restarted. Its only dropped its tunnel a few times, but a cronjob checks it and restarts if it goes away.

Version  :    VC5.0.2
Copyright:    2006-2009 Vyatta, Inc.
Built by :    root () vyatta com
Built on :    Fri Feb 27 03:18:16 UTC 2009
Build ID :    2009-02-26-2347-3bb1a83
Boot via :    disk
Uptime : 15:10:39 up 225 days, 22:31, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Cheers,
Curtis