nanog mailing list archives

RE: Google to offer fiber to end users

From: David Hubbard <dhubbard () dino hostasaurus com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:58:42 -0500

From: Florian Weimer [mailto:fw () deneb enyo de]

* David Hubbard:

Residential computers with enough bandwidth to DoS
hosting providers; that should be fun.

How is this different from a typical dorm network?
(Perhaps with all that P2P filtering software in place,
it's a mere self-DoS nowadays, but the analogy was not
that far off five years ago or so, with less bandwidth,
of course.)

Three colleges I've worked at were pretty progressive
in their monitoring, rate limiting and proactive
management of dorm networks; i.e. full bandwidth to
campus, i2, etc. destinations but maybe not to other
remote locations, automated responses to bad behavior
characteristics, etc.  I'm far less worried about
someone in a dorm launching a full gig of http requests
against one IP than a residential computer doing that
for 36 hours before someone from Google takes note.
If they manage the broadband abuse they way they do
gmail forum spammers, I don't have high hopes.

David