nanog mailing list archives

Re: BFD over p2p transport links

From: Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:32:51 -0500

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM,  <sthaug () nethelp no> wrote:

We run it on most 10G backbone (LAN-PHY) links.

Hmm. Backbone L2 transport, or fiber/wave type transport? I'd be
surprised to hear of people running it on dark-fiber-ish stuff.

In addition to the issue of link down propagation, you may also want
to standardize on BFD for all your backbone links, for simplicity's
sake (same mechanism everywhere). Obviously, in order to do this you
want to be sure that the BFD implementation won't give you lots of
false positives.

And therein lies the challenge. Try asking Mr Steenburger what BFD stands for...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no

--
Tim:>
Sent from Brooklyn, NY, United States