nanog mailing list archives

Re: Security Guideance

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:39:41 -0600

On 23/02/10 15:19 -0500, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
Quick suggestion BUT you may want to have Parallels look into it if
you can't seem to find it since you pay for the support anyways.  You
may also want to check to see if it is a cron job that is doing it (if
the machine was root kitted, you may have accidentally copied a cron
job over.  Another suggestion would be simply move half the accounts
to one server and half to another and see if it ddoses again and keep
doing that until you find the problem account.

I'll second that. I've found a few interesting items in my
/var/spool/cron/crontab before.

Also check your web server logs. If someone has compromised an account via
an apache/php vulnerability, it might show up in your access/error log
(I saw 'wget' in my logs once).

I assume you've checked 'last' to make sure they're not getting in via a
remote shell.

ls -ltra is your friend when finding the most recently created files in your
filesystem.

If you suspect there's a running process doing it, look through your /proc
directory, like in /proc/<pid>/environ, /proc/<pid>/cmdline, etc.

--
Dan White