nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alleged backdoor in OpenBSD's IPSEC implementation.

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:02:15 +0100 (CET)

More to the point, I think it wouldn't be an NDA, but a security
classification on the knowledge of the backdoors, and probably one not
subject to automatic downgrading.

Please pardon my ignorance on the matter as I am not involved in any way
with Open Source development, but it stands to reason that anything of this
sort would have been scrutinized by the many developers involved with
OpenBSD and surely would have been discovered at some point.  And to further
that point, is this not something that can be verified now if this code is
still in the public domain?  Or is writing a crypto stack such an esoteric
task that only a relegated few can possibly decipher the inner workings?

See Ken Thompson's classic paper "Reflections on trusting trust",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backdoor_(computing)#Reflections_on_Trusting_Trust

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

Not that I don't love a good government conspiracy theory, and yes I do
believe there are a fair amount of backdoors in most code (including that of
many private and publicly held corporations)... but open source?  Just seems
unlikely to me based on my limited understanding...

The world is not that simple.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no