nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wake on LAN in the enterprise

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:55:20 -0600

On 12/13/2010 10:43 AM, Christopher.Marget () usc-bt com wrote:
Jack Bates:
I would suspect that proxy servers being the better deal, though
my experience with Cisco is that you may have to use ASR type gear
to get a nicer layout (similar to service providers) where you can
backend everything to a radius server (I'm still waiting to test
this myself, but IOS is really weak on DHCP support).

I hope someone will please clarify the problem statement?

My problem is lack of WOL experience and associating dhcp-helper address with DHCP; ie, speaking without knowledge. I'm bad about that. :)

The only router/switch configuration required was to permit directed
broadcasts from the systems doing the waking.  On by default, I
believe, but locked down in my environment.

IOS specific, I believe. Some have it on; some have it off.

Jack