nanog mailing list archives

RE: Start accepting longer prefixes as IPv4 depletes?

From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 12:18:32 -0800

How many networks already leak numerous unnecessary /24s to their
transit providers, who accept them (not having been asked to do
anything else), and contribute to table bloat?  Quite a lot of
networks do this.

Sure.  Even as a prophylactic measure against route hijacking if they aren't using the space for internet routed
purposes (company uses a prefix internally, say for VPNs, addresses in the prefixes aren't reachable over the Internet
but they announce it anyway to discourage the block being used by someone else or to ensure that wayward traffic finds
a home and can be logged for correcting misconfigured VPNs).

I would hate to see all those accidental announcements
suddenly appear in my routing table; or for my transit providers to
have the bear the expense of dealing with them.

The probability of service-impacting accidents would definitely increase.