nanog mailing list archives

Re: Earthlink MX from *Earthlink* dynamic IPs blocked?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:40:28 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blake Dunlap" <ikiris () gmail com>

I don't know why this should be especially surprising. They probably
use RBL's, etc, just like everybody else and I doubt the RBL cares
whether the source is earthlink vs. earthlink's address space.

Wouldn't it be easier to just set your linux box to use submission
and one of earthlink's mail servers, just like any other client
ought to be doing these days?

We do the same thing, if you aren't an authenticated client, you're
just another unknown mail server on the internet, so the same
deliverability rules apply with DNS etc. You do not get special treatment just
because you are on one of our ip blocks as far as inbound MX submission via SMTP.

Got it; yeah, maybe that shouldn't have been a surprise.  I guess I'll have
to smart host her to their internal outbound server; that workaround works
for me with RoadRunner, it ought to work on EL as well.

Nothing to see here; move along.

Thanks,
-- jra