nanog mailing list archives

Re: Domain shut downs by Registrar?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:16:52 -0500

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:
On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
thanks... so, in this case, why did they take this action?

When folks with guns and little sense of humor show up at your door with a sealed court ordered warrant relating to
resources you have direct authority over, would you tell them to talk to a retailer for that resource?  Oh, and don't
forget VeriSign has a contract (cooperative agreement? whatever) involving the USG for the administration of COM/NET.

yup, convenient.

why didn't they push the action to the registrar? or did they and the registrar
refused to comply? (potentially because the domains weren't violating
a TOS?)

The registrar in question (GoDaddy) claims no one came to them and they had no idea what was going on (although that
didn't stop them from blaming ICANN).

ha, why does the USG insist on making things difficult? and making the
com/net/icann look like a kangaroo-court?
(or that's my perception at times...)

I suppose though, on the good side, we can expect the Verisign folks
to now shutdown other domains we bring to their attention as
malware/spamware/etc without protest?

"Got Warrant?"

yea... so I wonder if the NCFTA folks would pony up warrants for
things like the content highlighted by www.abuse.ch ?

-chris