nanog mailing list archives

Re: Want to move to all 208V for server racks

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 19:21:57 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>

Just because someone is selling them doesn't mean they meet building
codes. (esp. for residential use.) None of the dozen or so licensed
electricians I've ever talked to will use them.

The breakers, I assume you mean.

None of my local Lowes stock anything you'd use in a home. (60A
breakers?) [of course, their website does lie.] And some of those available
online are not UL listed.

I know the one's I've seen installed (circa 1980) were delisted -- GE
sent notice to the electricians that installed them.

This page: http://www.hilo-electric.com/blank?pageid=63 suggests that 2008
code still *permits* them, but neither it nor the concurring Wikipedia
article mentions then category having been delisted or manufacture-decontinued.

And indeed, I had little luck with Google trying to find evidence of mass
delistings of GFCI breakers.

Cheers,
-- jr 'are we off-topic enough, now? :-)' a