nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:25:54 -0600

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 06:12:02PM -0800, JC Dill wrote:

And if a competing water service thought they could do better than the
incumbent, why not let them put in a competing water project?  If they
think they can make money after the cost of the infrastructure, then
they may be onto something.  We don't have to worry that too many
would join in, the laws of diminishing returns would make it
unprofitable for the nth company to build out the infrastructure to
enter the market.

The laws of diminishing returns have already set the bar for the point
at which it's not profitable for a new company to enter the market and
try to compete. Right now the number is roughly 2, cable and dsl, give
or take a few outliers. I do believe the point would be to encourage a
little more competition than that. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras